Tourism refer to the trips that involve travelling of people outside the place of their residence or work for leisure, pleasure, vacation, business, personal, or other purposes.
Tourism is an important source of income for many countries. Nowadays, it is considered an industry.
Tourism is important for the growth and development of a developing country like India. The advantages and disadvantages of Tourism has been discussed in this article.
Advantages of Tourism
Now-a-days, tourism is the flourishing industry. The advantages of tourism includes employment opportunity, growth of service sector, foreign exchange earnings, opportunity for recreation, economic growth, cultural exchange, better international relations, enjoyment, better health and wellness.
1. Employment: Tourism provides employment opportunity for local people. Tourism industry is growing very rapidly in India employing millions of people.
2. Growth of Service Sector: Services sector engaged in tourism sector get the most out of tourism sector. A large number of businesses engaged in service sector such as airlines, hotel, surface transportation, etc. grows with the growth of tourism industry.
3. Foreign Exchange earning: Many tourist destinations attract a good number of foreign tourists. This helps the country earn foreign exchange.
4. Recreation: Travel based recreation provides relief from the monotony of daily routine. A change in place and climate helps a traveler to recharge his mind, body and spirit.
5. Economic growth: Tourism helps in the development of economy of a country. It helps in the overall GDP development of a country. It helps the local people to earn their livelihood. The tourists spend lavishly during vacation. The local people engaged in assisting the tourists earn a good income.
6. Meet new people: It helps the local people to get in touch with the people and country. It also helps building international relations.
7. Cultural exchange: Tourism gives opportunity to people of various cultures to assimilate together. People belonging to various cultures meet together and understand each other. This gives them an opportunity to build respect for each other. Hence, it fosters cultural harmony.
8. Health and wellness: Many people visit other places for the purpose of getting treatment for diseases, improving health and prevent diseases. This is called Medical and health tourism. Wellness tourism aim at achieving complete mental, psychological and physical well-being. There are many tourism destinations offering yoga, aerobics, and other therapies for improving health and wellness.
9. Fun and enjoyment: Many people travel for fun and enjoyment. They simply do whatever excites them, or gives them enjoyment.
10. Spend time with families: The life of modern people is hectic. They are too busy in their professional life. There is immense pressure even on children. Hence, such people plan for a holiday trip to spend quality time with their families.
Disadvantages of Tourism
The disadvantages of tourism includes increased expenditure, time-consuming, environmental hazards, loss of architecture and ecological balance, increase in waste products, damage to wild-life, and disruption in socio-economic and cultural setup.
1. Tourism involves huge expenditure on part of the tourists.Travelling costs includes vehicle hire charges, hotel and resort rent, food cost, etc. This increases the overall spending of the person.
2. You need to take out few days out of your busy schedule to visit tourist places. Hence, tourism is often time-consuming.
3. Leisure trips are good for health, mind and body. However, hectic trips may cause stress and effect health.
4. It may also lead to environmental hazards such as environmental pollution due to use of cigars, plastic bags.
5. In order to attract more tourists and earn more profits sprawling resorts are built cutting down thousands of casuarinas trees beside sea beaches.
6. These resorts destroy both scenic beauty of the place by paying no attention to local architecture and ecology.
7. As a result of indiscriminate construction of high-rise buildings and infrastructure facilities, the provision of water supply and waste disposal facilities may get disrupted.
8. Famous tourist spots attract an inflow of residing population. This may lead to an increase in demand for residential houses, roads, and food for permanent population. Under such situation, an increase in tourist activities beyond certain level may adversely affect the economy of the state.
8. Overuse of natural wealth is a serious problem, tourist overuse of mountain trails resulting in abundance in dumping of waste products, food tins, etc.
9. Damage to wildlife parks is a visible phenomenon. The ground vegetation may suffer due to the tourists’ shoes. Food habits of animal impaired.
10. Due immense changes, pollution, and dirt, the landscape may lose its scenic beauty.
11. Tourism may have damaging socio-cultural effects. Local people demean themselves to earn more or imitate alien culture, new lifestyles, foreign culture.
1. Green Tourism: Tourism should be promoted with care. Once the natural beauty and human-made beauties are lost, tourism loses its charm and attraction and will collapse. The benefits of tourism will stay only if due care is taken for the longevity and survival of natural environment. So, today environment friendly or green tourism are being introduced by tourism industries.
2. Avoid Ecological imbalance and health hazards: We should keep tourism within planned limits. Every care should be taken to avoid ecological imbalance and health hazards.
3. Preserve local culture and tradition: Tourism must not play havoc with traditions and protected societies. New technique, high-teach communication may bring cultural setbacks, degradation to preserved communities.
Stability of nation is necessary for development of tourism industry. Political disturbances hamper tourism. India can reap benefits from this industry, can add to own coiffure, earn foreign money if tourists are attracted to Buddhist stupas, Hindu temples, Mughal, Rajput palaces, forts, and victory towers, rock-cut caves, elaborately laid our gardens.
Throughout our beautified country there are many thousands of attractions such as glaciers, snow capped peaks, lower hill stations, wild life sanctuaries, deep rain-forests, formidable desert in Rajasthan, sea beaches immense in number in east, west, southern parts.
Adventure sports i.e., trekking, skating, rafting in turbulent rivers, gliding, canoeing, mountaineering are other attractive attributes available here. Galore of cultural differences resultant in varieties of cuisines to please diverse tongues, textiles, artifacts, handicrafts pleasing eyes are other gifts.
Indian tourism is only a small portion of the world tourism industry. So, we must use all potentialities by proper planning, financing acquiring experience, packaging marketing, and boosting creativity, make outstanding appeal to travelers and seek help from private entrepreneurs.
Category: Essays, Paragraphs and Articles
India is a land of diversity. India has got the largest history and many cultures have evolved here from last hundreds of years. The rich diversity of India has succeeded to attract the travelers from all around the world. the mesmerizing snow mountains in Kashmir to the beautiful beaches in Goa, India has got everything. The growth of tourism in India has increased exponentially from last few decades. Many schools and colleges organize various competitions like speech and essay competitions. Students are also asked to write articles on various topics in exams. Students get a chance to showcase their talents through this kind of competitions and that’s why we are here to help you out. We are giving you the core information about the travel and tourism industry in India. This information will help you to write a better essay and to build a perfect speech. You can modify the content as per your requirements as speeches and essays have different structures.
Beginning of the Speech on Travel and Tourism in India
Good morning everyone, honourable chief guests, respected principal, teachers, and my dear friends. Today I am going to talk about travel and tourism in India. Now, I would like to start my speech.
India is the country of diverse geographical regions. In India, we can see scorching hot deserts in Rajasthan to the snowy sheets of white snow in Kashmir and even the huge rainforests. The travel and tourism industry in India in growing rapidly. The huge growth is the main reason behind the rapid growth in the travel and tourism industry. Tourism is one of the important parts of the economy of any country. The tourism industry in India is rapidly growing at the annual rate of 7.5% and generating ₹8.31 lakh crore (US$120 billion) revenue in 2015 which is estimated to reach ₹18.36 lakh crore (US$270 billion) by 2025.
India ranked 52nd from 141 countries according to the Travel & Tourism Competitiveness Report. According to the report, India ranked very well on many factors such as good air transport and reasonable ground transport infrastructure. The tourism in India has outperformed the overall tourism in the world in many factors like growth, the volume of foreign tourists and revenue.
How Tourism Helps the Economy of India?
As mentioned above, tourism is one of the important parts of any economy. Tourism helps to grow the economy and the cultural growth of any country directly and indirectly. Following are the ways by which travel and tourism help India to grow.
Tourism brings the jobs to the people around it. The employment can be direct as tour guides, accommodation, and food providers, travel service providers etc to indirect employment like the suppliers of these services from whom they take the necessary goods. All the above services employ people to work and pay them wages, helping to boost the local industry.
Alternative Ways of Income
In rural areas of India, there are limited ways to earn the income. Farming, fishing, laboring, there are the major employment sources for the people in rural areas. Tourism creates the alternative ways to earn income for the people in rural areas.
The growing tourism brings in the extra income which results in higher tax payments. The local government bodies can use this money to improve the infrastructure such as building roads, amusement parks, gardens, social places, the betterment of transport and accommodation services, maintaining public hygiene and providing better medical services too.
Tourism brings in the opportunities for people. In order to solve the problems of the tourists, as well as the local residents, new businesses and services can be introduced. If you succeed in finding and solving those problems, the profit will surely come. The new business, in turn, increases the employment as well.
Apart from the monetary benefits tourism also encourages the cultural growth of the tourist places. India has a rich cultural heritage and it would give people immense pleasure and pride to showcase their culture in front of the world. Tourism also helps to maintain the traditions and culture of the region. It also helps to maintain the historic places like forts and palaces which otherwise would have destroyed.
Many travel operators encourage the preserve of tourist spots by creating awareness amongst the tourists. Tourists are asked to maintain the hygiene and integrity of the place.
Ways/ factors to Improve the Tourism in India
Although the travel and tourism industry in India is rapidly growing, it can be improvised for better results. India still lacks in many factors which are very important in tourism such as hygiene, better accommodation, safety etc. By improving following factors the tourism can achieve the quality growth in India.
Making Country Tourist-Friendly
Before trying any other for improving the tourism in India, we first need to make India tourist-friendly. Today, tourists are conned by the locals. They overcharge them for the same things they locals buy at cheaper rates. Tourist women do not feel safe in India. So these things should be changed first before anything else. And it will ultimately help to improvise the tourism industry by mouth to mouth publicity because the tourist satisfied by the hospitality here, they will definitely encourage their friends to visit India too.
Maintaining Hygiene at the Tourist Places
Although the tourism in India is rapidly improving we still lack in the case of hygiene. People in India do not tend to maintain the hygiene at public places. Open littering is done at the tourist spots. This can be stopped by maintaining the proper garbage handling system, providing dustbins at the public places as well as at the personal level people should maintain the hygiene by themselves by not littering. The hygiene inspections should be carried out by the government bodies to ensure that the restaurants and hotels are maintaining the proper hygiene.
Regulating Better Transport Services
Transport services play the key role in tourism. No one would like to have a bumpy ride to visit the exotic places in India. Poor quality of roads discourages the travel and hence affecting the tourism. Local government bodies should regulate the transport serviced by providing taxi services, affordable fairs for the transport and the safety of the travelers.
Allow Corporate Sponsorship for Tourist Spot Conservation
The best thing about the tourism in India is its historic monuments and rich architecture. There are so many monuments still waiting for the maintenance. It would be a great idea to allow the corporate businesses to maintain those monuments in return of their brand marketing. Businesses can use their marketing budget on the maintenance of those historic places.
Maintaining the Greenery
Trees always enhance the beauty of any place. Planting more trees at the tourist spots will add more beauty to the scene. It also helps to reduce the pollution and making the air cleaner.
Schemes/Campaigns Run by Govt. of India to Encourage Tourism
The Government of India runs many successful campaigns to encourage the tourism in India. Campaigns like “Incredible India”, “Clean India”, “Know India” etc. are successfully run in India to create awareness and promote tourism in India.
Tips for Speech
- Never mug up the speech script as it is. That sounds like a robot, your audience will not connect with it.
- Rather than reciting the complete script, note down only important bullet points and speak from your heart. When you speak from the heart you might fumble once or twice but it connects with your audience. We are humans after all we all make mistakes.
- Rather than words focus more on the emotions behind the word.
- If you are confident enough try to be interactive with your listeners. Ask them questions.
- If you are a parent don’t force kids to mug it up. Help them to understand the topics and it’s important. In real life, you just can’t survive with mugged up answers, isn’t it? Today’s generation is 10 times smarter than our generation they can easily understand the topic.
- If you are speaking in public for the first time then you better try a speech in front of parents, siblings or friends. Ask them feedback and revisit the script. Or else at least try speech in front of the mirror.
Tips for Essay
- You can write an essay in story format too, take an imaginary person and tell a story on given topic from his/her perspective.
- Essay generally have three main parts, Introduction, impact or more detailed info and then summary or conclusion. Don’t use headers in the essay. But you should divide the essay into these 3 logical sections.
- Try to maintain a flow between sections. Carry forward a point from the last paragraph and then take it forward.
- You can start a new paragraph with words or phrases like “on another hand, plus, at first, however”.
- It is important to have a conclusion or summary for an essay. You don’t need to be positive all the time for conclusion, it can be a mix of both emotions. Try to have an inspiring, positive, euphoric conclusion.
Tips for Paragraph Writing
- Generally, you will have 2 section in paragraph writing, it will be shorter than an essay.
- Paragraph are generally facts based rather than interactive or story based.
- You can have headings for paragraph if allowed.
If you find this article helpful, then don’t forget to appreciate us with your valuable comment. 🙂
Liked the Post? then Rate it Now!![Total: 0 Average: 0]